GI Toxicity and Mucositis
Epistem offers a clinically relevant in vivo model of oral mucositis. Histopathological damage is quantified at several fixed locations on the ventral tongue which is a more objective and mechanistically informative readout than a visual evaluation. Buccal mucosa can be similarly evaluated. Data can be directly correlated with pK studies in the same species.
This model can be used to provide:
- Time course data on tissue thinning, cell loss and recovery
- Comparison of effects at matched locations
- Comparison of topical vs. systemic administration effects
- Quantification of cell responses
Oral Mucositis Model Description
Focal radiation is administered locally to the oral tissue causing inhibition of proliferation. Epithelial thinning occurs and over the following 10 days, mucositis typically develops. Novel therapeutic agent can be administered by prophylactic, co-insult or post insult regimens.
- Reduction in ulcer severity or duration
- Histology and immunohistochemistry